Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The 26 Point Word

Lately, I have been playing a lot of Scrabble on Facebook. I have, time and again, learned the value of the word qi. It can earn you anywhere from 11 to 50 some points. It means circulating life energy. It fits in small spaces and gives big rewards.

Now, you are probably wondering what this has to do with my various crafts. Yep, no crafts in Scrabble (although I would argue it can be an art form but then, that is a whole other post). Well, I think of knitting as akin to Scrabble. My knitting offers me small rewards throughout the creation of the garment. I get to revel in the look of the stitches on top of each other, the feeling you get when finishing one part of the object and marveling at the way the back of the sweater will look when attached to the front. I get energy from my knitting, seeing my success as I improve my skill. I get more imaginative, thinking about the possibilities. I move beyond my knitting comfort zone.

Qi is not a word I was familiar with before playing a lot of Scrabble games. Yes, I'd heard of chi but never the qi spelling. And, just like the word was new to me so are various knitting skills. I've only been knitting since October 2007. And, as I expand my vocabulary, so do I expand my knitting skill set. I decrease, increase, frog and SSK like a pro (ish). I learn the value of gauge swatches. I seek out opportunities to try new projects. I increase my knitting qi over time. And, I guess this blog is an opportunity to examine just that....

No comments: