Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Frog and the Toad

Remember that children's book, The Frog and the Toad? Frog and Toad are good friends to each other, walking down the path to visit each other at their homes. They appreciate each other's differences. They are truly great stories for kids, modeling true friendship.

When you say "frog" to a knitter, however, rarely would she think toad. She'd think ripping out work, starting slightly anew on an object. She'd think frustration perhaps. On my very first sweater, I definitely discovered frogging. The knit was too loose. The stitches were not an even gauge. I tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist and I knew I needed to start fresh. And, thus commenced the frogging. The second version of the sweater came out better. My stitches were more even. I went down a needle size. It was definitely better. However, it is still not quite ideal. The sweater is too big for me. The collar doesn't lay quite right. Overall, it is a bit of a toad.



I wore it once, with my bright pink scarf covering the not so perfect collar. I got a compliment on it. Quite honestly, I really love the pattern. It's the Somewhat Cowl by Wendy Bernard. I will probably make it again. And, as I keep reminding myself, it is my first sweater. My skills continue to sharpen. I kind of love my little toad, even with it's warts, because it is my first sweater. And, I will appreciate the difference in my knitting as it improves.

No comments: