Friday, August 15, 2008

How tall am I today?

Remember when you were little and your mom had you stand against the wall, drew a mark and then measured how tall you were? If you had siblings, their marks might be a different color and you'd stare at the marks and think about when you'd be that tall. You'd marvel at your own height and be proud of your mark on the wall.

I think life is kind of still like that. Granted, the mark is figurative now rather than literal. But, we still use that old (mental) yard stick to evaluate how much progress we have made. We think about where other people's marks are and when we might get there. Twice today I've had conversations about life's marks and comparing our progress to others. Yes, I think we can all agree that isn't right or necessarily healthy. But, a lot of us do it... especially women. Because if you aren't married or popping out babies, some people judge.

Overall, I'm pretty darn happy with my life. I'm single. I'm not particularly looking to end that singleness. I am happy with my dog and my crafts and my cute little apartment. Yet, sometimes when I get an email about another wedding or another baby I think "what about me?" Mind you, I am pretty happy with my own little path. Life is good for me and to me. My little growth marks on the wall might even be higher than those of some of my friends with the marriage or kiddies. And I remind myself there are multiple walls for each of us; on some we are taller than others. Life is about appreciating the height and working your way through the petiteness.

7 comments:

leah said...

Sounds like you have a very healthy outlook! What is right for some isn't right for others!

crazyknittinglady said...

I agree and sympathize!
It's hard to feel validated with your life choices when so many others are automatically validated for reaching the "normal" mark-points. But yarn and singletons have fun too ;)

Karen said...

A wise post indeed. Our culture has some awfully weird ideas about what constitutes "success" -- we need to keep in mind that we're not Toyotas, and we don't all roll off the assembly line looking, feeling, and acting identical to one another.

Iron Needles said...

Well said. It's about where I am right now, and being content to learn what what life has for me to learn right here.

mmorrison47@gmail.com said...

I remember those marks on the wall. I would look at the floor and think when I'm older the floor will be farther away. (I didn't quite make 5' so the floor still isn't far away!)

Jillian said...

Here is to being satisfied with your life! There are so many people that have some of the things that you mentioned that aren't truly happy. I think it is important to be happy with yourself and remember that not everything is what it seems.

On a side note - am I the only one who really wanted to be short? My grandmother still comments on how tall I am getting (she is shrinking) and it still stings - I so wanted to be a cute little petite thing!

Smokey in the City said...

Just catching up on some of your posts here. This one is so true. Very wise.

There are many measuring sticks and we all measure ourselves against a different one. I'm so glad that you're acknowledging your successes and happiness.