Monday, September 15, 2008

The Joy of Mistakes

I had this art teacher in elementary school named Mr. Giles. He once told us that every artistic mistake can be fixed, you just be creative. I've carried that with me through all of my creative pursuits including curriculum writing, cooking, jewelry making, sewing and of course my knitting. I try to remember each dropped stitch or other mistake offers me an opportunity to use my creative brain. Because that advice from Mr. Giles was right. Everything can be fixed if you think outside the box and put on your creative hat. My mistakes have increased my creativity and allowed me to be a better person.

I have been thinking about mistakes a lot lately, as I think I've taken on too much in the volunteer roles I have. I've known that cutting back was needed in order to feel successful. And, so I try. I'm trying to refocus my life around the things that are important to me right now. I feel good about that refocusing. And, I know I will be successful. Because those mistakes have allowed me brain to think in different ways. And, I'm better for it.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

It's hard to make yourself refocus and say no to things, but I agree it's so good for you when you can.

Mistakes really are the best teachers, even if it sucks to have to go through them sometimes!

leah said...

Glad you have the courage to take control and refocus! I have a hard time of that too....right now my plate is full. I can't say yes to any more!!

Dee said...

Mr. Giles was a wise man.

Hope your creativity leads you to a better place. :-)

Cristy and Caleb said...

I have to tell you that you still amaze me even after all these years. You are just a wonderful women and I wish nothing but the best for you. I love all your projects. I wish I made some time in my life to do some crafty things. I haven't done anything crafty (besides wedding stuff) in years. I am so excited to see that you have a blog and I will be checking in often. Miss you!

Jillian said...

That is a great philosophy... so true! Though sometimes (when a mistake has just occurred) it can be difficult to remember.