Thursday, September 25, 2008

Poor Neglected Bananas

I discovered I have been rather remiss in eating my bananas lately. Today, two very speckled ones greeted me when I walked into the kitchen. I stuck them in the fridge, hoping that I could make banana bread in the next two days. Luckily, I got home early enough to do it tonight! So, this delicious loaf of goodness is just waiting to be devoured. The recipe is my old standby, from my elementary school's cookbook. This sucker dates back to 1981 when I was in first grade. There is even a little tribute inside to my kindergarten teacher, who passed away when I was her student.

Anywho, the banana bread is delicious and requires so few ingredients - and stuff you typically have around the house. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup crushed ripe bananas
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • chocolate chips
Cream together the sugar and margarine. Add rest of ingredients and stir until well mixed. Pour batter into well greased and floured pan (9x5x3 inches). Bake about 50-55 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven. Remove from pan after cooling about 10 minutes. Finish cooling on the wire rack.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

workthatwardrobe said...

What a lovely recipe and a bittersweet story. I still use the same lasagne recipe I was taught at High School (1982).

Kathleen Taylor said...

That recipe sounds totally delicious. Unfortunately, bananas are off the menu at our house (huge number of carbs for Mr Diabetes), but boy, I'd sneak a slice if I could.

Jewel said...

What a easy recipe, I will have to give it a try!

leah said...

Yum!

N. Maria said...

Oh!! Thank you so much for the recipe! I just finished peeling some pears. I quartered them, dipped them in lemon juice and put them in freezer bags. No juice.
When you take them out later, eat them slightly frozen and it is like sorbet....but better...no sugar. Very delicious!
Maria in WA

Lynn said...

Oh this sounds like a great recipe! The one I use I got off of Nick Jr's website. They advertised it while I was watching Blue's Clues with my son.