Saturday, October 18, 2008

Drinking My Way Through the Lehigh Valley

I had a wonderful little outing with my friend Laurel to the Lehigh Valley Wine Trail today. There was a coordinated event between all eight wineries. We only visited three but it was wonderful. We started at the Blue Mountain Winery, which would definitely be my favorite of the three. They had a wonderful rigatoni and a chocolate fountain (really, does life get better than flowing chocolate drizzling over strawberries? Why yes, it comes with WINE!). We tried 7 different wines there and I purchased a sweet blush.

We also stopped at a little roadside stand and got some fresh produce. I now have some wonderful cider to intersperse with my wine drinking. I also got some yellow squash and apples because I guess a girl cannot survive on wine alone.

From there we went to Vynecrest Winery. This was a nice place, although my least favorite of the three. They didn't have as much food and the service wasn't quite as friendly. We tried six different wines here. I bought a sweet cherry flavored wine.... delish!

Our last stop was Clover Hill, which was simply charming. Again, five wines and a lovely time. They had a food demonstration while we were there, although we were busy tasting so didn't see it. The food sounded wonderful. However, at this point my stomach was pretty happy and I didn't need anymore. Again, one bottle - a red that tastes kind of like grape juice - came home with me.

The best part of this whole day was that the coordinated event meant that the tastings were free. I spent money on the wine but otherwise spent very little. And had an absolutely fantastic, scenic and fall like day.

7 comments:

Dee said...

Sweet cherry wine sounds delicious. Wouldn't that be great with pork roast?

Beautiful pictures. Sure wish I was there!

Maria Rose said...

What a lovely day! I have always wanted to do wine tasting, but something always gets in the way.

BigCat said...

What a lovely day out. I'm a little envious - it sounds like so much fun.

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a really fun day!

leah said...

What fun!!! Your first picture reminds me I live in a place where the leaves don't change colors! :(

Iron Needles said...

Really sounds like a fun-filled day. Wine, autumn colors, good friends...don't know what I could add!

madalyn said...

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous time!