Monday, October 13, 2008

Thanksgiving

Oh Canada.....

(Did you hear me singing? Gosh, I hope not as I'm tone deaf!)

I thought I should confess my unnatural love of Canada. I think it has something to do with growing up in Buffalo. People from Buffalo celebrate the Friendship Festival each summer with the residents of Fort Erie. People from Buffalo drive to Fort Erie for Chinese food and bingo (now if only the crazy Americans would settle the stupid Peace Bridge debacle). I used to go to Niagara Falls, Ontario in college to dance and drink (Rumours Nightclub baby). My family used to vacation on Lake Muskoka every summer. I think I'm secretly partly Canadian (or maybe I just want to be?). Canada is the neighbor to the west. And a good neighbor at that. They will lend you some sugar, lend you good bands and actors, occasionally help you fight a war and generally make you happy. They even gave me an aunt - really, is there anything nicer?

Don't get me wrong - I'm quite proud of my country. I was raised with a good sense of the history of this country and a pride to be American. I appreciate my freedom and admire the Founding Fathers (and have a slight obsession with Abigail Adams). But when the nearest state to you is a nation state, you have a certain loyalty to that country as well.

And so I wish a Happy Thanksgiving to those very neighbors. Thanks for providing me with so many wonderful memories. And please let me be just a little Canadian.

5 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Oh, I think I am part Canadian too. I was born just a few miles from the Canada Montana border. So, I am almost Canadian....does that count.

madalyn said...

I think I must be part Canadian (at least, emotionally), too, although I have no real good reason like you -- I just like the country. :) Last year my husband and I were vacationing in Vancouver over the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday, which was fun. We got to celebrate Thanksgiving twice! :)

crazyknittinglady said...

Aw, thanks! I'm sure you're a little bit Canadian already ;)

Rose said...

i was in vancouver just a few weeks back and within 4 hours my friends and i were dreaming of living there, it was so fantastic! i love our northern neighbor as well, even though they are much farther from my own california :)

Two Peas In a Pod said...

We would love to have you all as canadians...such nice people you all seem to be :) Happy Turkey Day to you as well...I think you celebrate Columbus Day. I love my friends to the south...they are always so nice to me when i get lost on road trips. Cheeers Kyla