Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Remember the Ladies...

I truly am a big sap. And, I'm totally okay with it. This morning, when watching the news, I totally started crying as I watched people lining up to vote. The polls hadn't even opened and there were over 100 people in line. I went to vote in the late morning and simply stared at my ballot once I pushed all of the buttons, marveling at this act of democracy and the historical nature of this campaign. I've watched the number of people who voted add up on Facebook. I sat down and read the Constitution (yes, I have a copy in my apartment).

I'm quite honestly overcome by all of this, especially when you think about the fact that women haven't even had the right to vote for 100 years in this country. I have never felt so moved or invested in an election, and I've been voting ever since I was of age. This is witnessing history and more importantly, being invested in moving my country closer to the direction I think it should be going. It is about using my simple voice to tell my leaders that I want them to remedy our country's image in the world. It is about caring enough to participate.

The turnout in Philadelphia, the place where this country first was imagined by our Founders, is high. I can only hope that that bodes well for the candidates I support. I imagine those men looking at what they created and being awe struck by where we are now. There are some things they would be immensely pleased with. And there are some things, like the deteriorating of our civil rights, that would concern them. But most all I think they would be proud of the democracy they helped to create. As Benjamin Franklin said, the sun truly is rising.

Yes, I'm proud to be an American.


** My title is a tribute to Abigail Adams, wife of the 2nd President, who reminded her husband during the writing of the Constitution to "remember the Ladies."

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

I voted on the way home - and I was really happy to see so many new voters there.

Kathleen Taylor said...

I never feel so Amereican as I do on election day. It always makes me tear up a bit when I vote. It's such a privilege, and I never take it for granted.

Iron Needles said...

Ooh Ooh Ooh! I knew that's where the title came from! I read the book!

PS I voted by mail a few weeks ago, so I didn't get to stand in line, or get a sticker, or a free Starbucks...

Maria Rose said...

No matter which side you are on we can all agree that this event was about more than just an election.

BigCat said...

What a lovely post. I found the US election very emotional too. You should be proud. It's an amazing moment in history.