Sunday, August 23, 2009

De-Upholstery

Before I get into a chair update, I have to say "Wow!" because this is my 300th post. When I started blogging, I never imagined I would be talking about reupholstering a chair or that my craft journey would take me where I've been. Amazing and exciting!

And, on to the chair. I've had a fruitful weekend for the de-upholstery process. The fabric is detached across the back and the seat. Right now, I'm working on the front of the chair back. It's attached with a weird metal thing (you can see it in the top of this photo) and I can't get quite enough leverage to free it. I'm going to pull a few more staples and pull again. If that does not work then I'm going to ask my neighbor if she might be able to help me by holding the chair still so I can pull with all my strength (think cartoon character with a flying Stacy as it comes free!). Hopefully I can get it down to the bones this week. Right now, I'm leaning towards painting it with a cream colored paint and then sanding so the wood shows through a wee bit... all shabby chic like. And, I'm thinking of highlighting the circles on the arms with red paint. That said, I might also change my mind about 30 times before I get to that point.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this look at the chair construction process. I'm learning a lot about how fabric is placed on a piece. I have more appreciation for the amount we pay for furniture now.

In browsing through JoAnn Fabric's the other day, I first gravitating to the yellows, green and blues. The fabric at right was the first thing I really liked. I kept looking and feeling. And, kept gravitating back to this fabric. I wanted something darker so that dirt would not show too much. After picking it out, I looked for trim. I vacillated between yellow and red trim for the longest time, even stopping a very nice woman to ask for advice. She was so sweet, talking to me for about 20 minutes. I opted for the red for now. If I get the chair completed and find the red is not quite working, then I'll go back for yellow.

So we are slowly moving past Ugly Orange to Beautiful Blue... such fun.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I'm impressed! I've never thought about redoing any of my furniture!

Kara said...

Wow! What an undertaking. That fabric and trim look delightful! Can't wait to see the results.