Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving Prep

This weekend I did a bit of preparation for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is truly my favorite holiday. I love the idea of giving thanks for the blessings in our lives. I love the idea of people coming together to break bread and celebrate. I love the foods I have but once a year, like my mother's sweet potatoes.

This year, I'm having a fuller table. My mom is coming to town on Tuesday. My friends Dorthe and Robyn are coming for dinner. Robyn's father is also coming. I'm grateful for all of these loved ones gathering together, knowing dinner will be filled with laughter and friendship.

On Saturday, I went shopping at TJMaxx. I got a couple of things for the centerpiece, which will be small so we can fit all of the food on the table. I also got some Christmas gifts - woohoo, I'm almost done with my shopping!

And, I made a trip to Wegmans to get all of my groceries. Although it is a bit of a drive from my apartment, they have the best produce in the area. I now I have a 12 pound "young, fresh turkey" in my fridge. (It sounds so cougar-like.) I also made some applesauce that may or may not make it to Thursday! I have one more day to accomplish the laundry and cleaning before my mom comes.

Today, I was able to carve out a little time to work on my friend's Christmas quilt. I made about 5 mistakes while sewing pieces together so the seam ripper was highly utilized! But, I'm genuinely loving how things are coming together and I think she'll really love the final product.

A wonderful weekend leading into a wonderful week....

5 comments:

Dee said...

I enjoy reading your blog so much because you sound like you get so much joy out of the simple things!

Your Thanksgiving plans sound wonderful.

It will just be the three of us this year. We're going to use the time off to get the house in shape for the December influx of relatives. We have furniture to move and decorations to put up. Of course, there will be turkey, but just a five-pounder. LOL We just got the breast this year.

We'll let someone else enjoy the legs. ;-)

Kara said...

I wish I could be so organized. My mom is a big prepper, she has had the table set for a week! Good luck with your plans!

Maria Rose said...

I can't believe your Christmas shopping is almost done! Yikes.

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I love the idea of Thanksgiving. And thanks for giving me some lovely comments.
Jane

carlita dee said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! Your plans are warm and wonderful. I, too, am in awe of your holiday shopping efficiency!