Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thinking, thinking, thinking

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about self-identity. How I see myself and how that is different from how others might see me. What are my strengths and areas for growth. How I tackle adversity. What blessings I’ve been afforded and my ability to be comfort with uncertainty (which isn’t great). I think a large part of the reason that I’ve been thinking about all of this was my bout with seasonal affective disorder and the feeling of unhappiness it dealt me. So often we focus on our shortcomings. I really try not to do so. I know I have a lot of positive traits and continually try to keep those on the forefront of my daily work. By nature, I’m a glass half full person. Which is probably part of the reason SAD was such a challenge for me.

When I think about the adjectives I’d love to describe me, I automatically think of quirky, crafty, strong, compassionate, inventive, intelligent, genuine and spunky. I don’t know how many of these words people who know me would use. I know I don’t think I yet embody all of them. But I certainly hope to. And then, we are all a work in progress aren’t we?

All in all, I’m grateful for continued evolution. I know I’m a better person today than I was a week ago. I am grateful for the challenges, both large and small, which have shaped my character. Mysteries still abound and I look forward to experiencing them as they come. I can only become a better person down the road….


5 comments:

Kara said...

Hang in there, spring is on it's way! I think all of those characteristics are pretty amazing. And I have no doubt that you embody them.

merci33 said...

Hi Stacy...I've enjoyed following your blog for some time now and your entry here strikes a cord...I wouldn't normally suggest that anyone read my work but I write a yearly 'creative energy' article (for more than a decade) and this year the topic is a renewed sense of self-identity...you may enjoy at:

http://www.zodiacarts.com/whatsup/DonnaIonaDrozda.shtml

all best
d

Iron Needles said...

Growing is what it's all about. I have also found I don't need to spend too much time in my own head. Someone wise said 'I don't have to believe everything I think.' My thinking can be a real trap for me.

Christine said...

Its amazing how the sunshine can make such an impact. Hooray for spring coming soon!! I hear its supposed to get up in the 50's this weekend. Hang in there :) Christine

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

What a wonderful post. So honest and heartfelt.