Sunday, January 23, 2011

Professing My Love

I love a hardwritten note. I believe in the value of "thank you" in print and the honest sincerity of a card with words of sympathy for a lost loved one. I think the mail is a gift hand delivered and like for it to offer flowery handwriting and messages of love. (And let's be honest, when is the last time you got a bill like that?) This morning CBS Sunday Morning ran a story on the value of handwriting and how it is becoming more and more of a lost art. Seriously? Could I be any more enamored? Turns out, yes I can. Because the handwriting expert they spoke with teaches at SUNY Buffalo, one of my hometown universities. Sadly, they don't have the story posted yet.

I hope we always can celebrate the written word.....

7 comments:

Dee said...

I just happened to DVR that show. Now I will make sure to watch it.

I love good penmanship and love receiving a hand-written letter. It seems it really is a dying art.

Kara said...

It is scary how little I handwrite in my day to day life. But I agree. Handwriting is so individual and special.

Laura said...

I saw that this morning too! Great story and I couldn't agree more. :)

Christine said...

So true! I always write my thank you notes, but I can't say I do the same for the address labels.

Running Thread said...

A hand written note carries so much more meaning than an email. I try and hand write special notes and thank you cards. I've got boxes of handwritten letters my grandmother sent me when I was a little girl .... so precious - along with her hand written recipes. Thanks for reminding me about the joy and beauty of something so simple.

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes, I am totally crazy about handwriting!

madalyn said...

The art of handwritten notes and letters is dying, which makes me sad. And it's equally sad that so many people don't even THINK to handwrite a thank you note these days!