Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reflection...

The journey we’re on always manages to surprise me. The twists and turns of life can bring joy, sorrow, anger or pure love. And you just never know what’s around the next corner. The fairy tales of youth make it seem so very easy to find your personal Prince Charming. You’re raised with the expectation of white picket fences and 2.3 children and dazzling white smiles. And for some of us, that happens. The stars align and offer our own version on that loveliness. And from the outside, we often think so many people have just that. Oh, the outside! Where you never really know what is happening….. that is always the problem with comparison. You never know the full story.
Surely my life hasn’t followed the plan I had years ago. I should be married with those 2.3 children right now. I should have that little house with a backyard for my little dog. I should, I should, I should…. Isn’t that what we all hear in our brains?

It’s the blessings I do have *right now* that I like to look at, turn over in my brain and truly appreciate. I have a lovely, warm, inviting home. I rent it and get to relish in the pleasure of calling someone else to fix things! I have wonderful family and friends who love and support me. I have a loving, honest, supportive man friend. I have a white bundle of happiness I call Rosy. I have a job that allows me to live fairly comfortably. I have a vehicle that gets me from point a to point b without too much drama.

I fully believe my future offers more. The ability to tackle new professional challenges that will allow me to grow is just a bit away. Perhaps a newer, more dependable vehicle will be coming soon. And most importantly, the love from the people in my life will grow and evolve in new ways. The promise of a child is on the horizon. Oh yes, I want more. But when all of that reverberates in my soul, I have to press pause to the chorus on “I wants” and remember the delightful melody of “I have.”

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, so true. If only life turned out the way we think it "should" in our heads.

I'm reading "A Place of Yes' by Bethenny Frankel right now. I'm learning that it's never too late to create the life you want!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Lovely post Stacy. So well said. Good on you for looking to the moment for your happiness.