Monday, September 12, 2011

Thinking Back...

Yesterday was big old historical day. Ten years. Ten years have passed since the world kind of split open and changed forever. Oh, life is so very different now. Some people lost family members suddenly, horribly and often without the ability to say goodbye. My country created a whole new agency and started a couple of wars. We carry less when we fly and take off our shoes for security.

My own life has changed too. I’ve lived in three places since then. I’ve loved and had my heart broken. I’ve made new friends and celebrated milestones with the old ones. I’ve fallen back in love. I’ve made a home for myself in Philly. And I’ve connected to all of you….

I listened to some of the stories on NPR over the last week. I’ve gotten teary. I’ve remembered where I was that day and the people that I was with when all seemed to change. But most importantly, I’ve told those I love – yet again – how much I love them. How important they are to my life. How much richer my world is for having them in it.

That is my shiny, good legacy for September 11th. We shouldn’t take life or the people we share it with for granted. We should celebrate them daily. Because you never know. And having your last words be “I love you” is so much better than anything else.


1 comment:

Jill said...

Great post, Stacy :) Happy to count you among my friends - xoxo