Sunday, December 16, 2012

Some Rambling Thoughts...

By now, the whole world has mourned the school shooting in Newtown, CT.  There really are no words to describe the horror, the heartbreak, the sadness the permeates everything in this story.  I have been actively trying to avoid the news because it is just too much for me.  This hits a little too close to home.  I used to live in the community next to Newtown.  I still have friends there.  Their kid's schools were on lockdown Friday.  Thankfully, their kids are fine.  But so many peoples lives are forever changed in a devastating way.  What words can you offer?  The grief is palpable for people not at all connected to Newtown. 

There is also a part of me that questions whether I want to have kids.  I can't imagine the overwhelming heartbreak these parents must be experiencing.  It brings me to tears, quite literally, every time I think about it.  The dreams they had for their children have been ripped from them.  And now, in the midst of a holiday season, they are planning a funeral.  Could I handle that?  Yes, I've survived a lot of emotional things and I'm sure I could.  But the trauma, the sadness.... I just can't fathom how I would survive. 

I guess the message is to hug someone closer.  Tell your loved ones how important they are to you.  We never know what is around the next bend in the road....



1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

I grappled with that same question before having children. How could I bring babies into such a broken world? Finally I decided, along with my husband, that the only way to make this world less dark it to bring more light into it. While there is never any certainty in anything that was the choice we made. ~~~That said, I cannot fathom the suffering that the families of the victims are feeling.