Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Introverted Parenting

I'm very much an introvert. I have consistently scored 19 out of 20 towards introvert on the Myers Briggs Type Indicator. I have known for a long time that coming home and having a little alone time was central to my well being. I like people. I just need quiet to quiet my mind.

I never realized how tough parenting - especially stay at home parenting - is when you are an introvert. I have, on occasion, felt like I quite literally do not have a minute to myself to just relax. As any mother knows, your bathroom breaks come with company.So, not exactly a "break".

I've been focusing on finding how I can successfully parent while still ensure I'm caring for my introvert self. Here are a few of the things that seem to help me out a little:
  • Hobbies - my self care has always been creating. I love to sew and more recently have taken up embroidery. I have my two machines set up upstairs and try to steal away as much as I can. I also have started doing watercolors and hand lettering. The great thing about these is I can do them downstairs with the kiddos. It gives me a few minutes of creating among the chaos of the day. 
  • Go to bed before my husband. I've heard it said that marriages where partners go to bed at the same time are happier. I don't know about that. I just know the extra little bit of time to unpack my day and get ready for bed ALL BY MYSELF is amazing for me. It makes me a healthier and happier person for him and the kids. 
  • Nap time is precious. Enough said. I am so glad my kids nap at the same time and give me a little time to recharge in the middle of my day. I'm pretty sure nap time helps me be a better mom from 4:30-8:30 each day. 
  • Volunteering. It sounds silly to say that the connecting with others feeds my introvert soul. But, it does. My volunteering for my sorority and for the greater sorority system is for me. It helps me to interact with adults and think about something other than Paw Patrol.
  • Connecting with other moms. I'm so blessed to have found my local MOMS Club and to have connected with some awesome moms via our playgroup. The random motherhood texts make you feel like someone else gets it. Again, you wouldn't think connecting is what an introvert wants; but we need connections as long as it's a bit deeper than the superficial conversation about weather. 
  • Target trips. They aren't paying me to say this (but hey Target, I would take a gift card if you wanted to send one!) but an evening outing to Target BY MYSELF is the greatest luxury in the world sometimes. Let's wander the aisles, touch all the fabrics, and imagine I had time to read those awesome sounding books. Oh, and I can get laundry detergent and milk? Win! A trip to the grocery store works too even if it's not quite as much fun. 
  • Working out first thing in the morning. This is a newer one for me but has fast become my sacred alone time. I get up early and get my blood going. I've been doing Core de Force on Beachbody or taking my dog for a long walk. It's a serious recharge for my spirit to do something that is 100% for me and helps me start my day on a good note. 
I will say that I don't know that I'm successful. Today for example.... first Abby woke up right in the middle of this post. And then, after dinner tonight, she tried throwing books at me. Finally my husband told me to go to the grocery store. I needed that grocery trip!

How do you balance it all if you're an introvert?


1 comment:

Lizz Colavita said...

Love this! I'm an introvert as well - married to a super extrovert who doesn't always understand that it's not even Steven, 85/ just that I require more alone time than him! I usually find my alone time after everyone has gone to bed or while my kids are at preschool - but now it's summer and my kids don't nap anymore really so it's tough. I'm not getting enough sleep, -'d need to carve out more me time somehow this summer!